Can Yıldız is an Associate in Competition and Compliance department under Corporate Affairs. His practice especially focuses on competition law matters, joint ventures, preliminary investigations and investigations within the scope of competition law, M&A transactions, economic regulation, anti-dumping investigations, energy law and data protection law. He has represented a wide variety of leading multinational corporations operating in a wide range of geography including Turkey, Europe and United States in connection with competition law aspects of mergers and acquisitions. He has also advised many multinational and local companies on competition law matters. He further represented multinational and local undertakings in annulment lawsuits and appeals pertaining to decisions of the Competition Board.
Can Yıldız represented electricity distribution companies and authorized supply companies in investigations launched by Energy Market Regulatory Authority. He has further provided consultancy to foreign investors with respect to renewable energy resources support mechanism and renewable energy resource areas in Turkey. He also represented companies in anti-dumping investigations.
He assists clients in regard to merger control and exemption filings made before the Turkish Competition Authority, provides consultancy to the clients with respect to Turkish and European Community competition legislations. He further represents clients in all phases of the competition law investigations before the Competition Authority and assists them to comply with competition law compliance programs. He also provides assistance and consultancy with regard to data protection law compliance programs.
He completed his law degree in Bilkent University.
Illustrative Recent Representations:
- Provided competition law consultancy on a regular basis to leading multinational firms operating in various industries such as online retail, FMCG, alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, online accommodation services and paper packaging;
- Represented an online accommodation reservation platform and a multinational manufacturer of beauty, personal care and home care products in the investigations regarding allegations of vertical restraints before the Competition Authority;
- Represented the Turkish branch of a foreign investment bank and a multinational technology retailer in the investigations regarding cartel and concerted practice allegations before the Competition Authority;
- Represented an international technology firm in an investigation regarding licensing of standard essential patents before the Competition Authority;
- Represented a leading manufacturer of aircraft components and motors regarding its acquisition of another large-scale undertaking operating in the same market and prepared the merger filing that was made to the Turkish Competition Authority (net value of the merger was over 30 billion USD);
- Represented a leading commodity trading company in its acquisition of the world’s largest coal mine complex and prepared the merger filing that was made to the Turkish Competition Authority;
- Represented foreign private equity firms in their numerous acquisitions in various industries;
- Advised a multinational company operating in the technology retail sector in regard to its potential acquisition of a company operating in the same sector in Turkey;
- Represented multinational and local undertakings in annulment lawsuits and appeals pertaining to decisions of the Competition Board;
- Prepared competition law compliance programs to companies active in various sectors such as energy, communication, FMCG and insurance;
- Provided advice to a consortium between a foreign energy group and a local conglomerate with regard to renewable energy resources support mechanism and renewable energy resource areas in Turkey;
- Represented a Turkish manufacturer of metal rods in an anti-dumping investigation initiated by the Egyptian Authority.
Bilkent University, LLB
Languages: Turkish, English
- İstanbul Bar Association
- Addressing the Finalization of the Competition Board Decisions as Preliminary Issue in Compensation Lawsuits
- Final and Interim Decisions of the Turkish Competition Board
- United States Economic Sanctions Regime: Iran
- Restriction of Online Advertisement and Sales: European Commission’s Guess Decision
- Recent Developments in Abuse of Dominance Concerning Online Platforms
- Gönenç Gürkaynak, Can Yıldız & Sanem Kinalp, "The Relationship between Trade Policy and Competition Policy: The Interface between Predatory Pricing and Anti-Dumping Regulations”, The Academic Gift Book of ELIG, Attorneys-at-Law in Honor of the 20th Anniversary of Competition Law Practice in Turkey, Mart 2018,.
- Şahin Ardıyok & Can Yıldız, "Turkey Introduces Project-Based Government Incentives”, Mondaq, 29 Aralık 2016.
- Şahin Ardıyok, Tolga Turan & Can Yıldız, "The Long Expected Regulation On Renewable Energy Designated Areas In Turkey”, Mondaq, 1 Kasım 2016.
- Şahin Ardıyok & Can Yıldız, "New Wave Of Investment Incentives In Turkey”, Mondaq, 26 Eylül 2016.