Can Yıldız is an Associate in Competition and Compliance Department of Erdem & Erdem. His practice especially focuses on competition law matters, investigations within the scope of competition law, M&A transactions, economic regulation, energy law and data protection law. He has defended high profile undertakings active in numerous industries in over 30 investigations conducted by the Competition Authority concerning a broad array of allegations. Additionally, he has represented a wide variety of leading multinational corporations operating in a wide range of geography including Turkey, Europe and United States in connection with competition law aspects of mergers and acquisitions. He has also advised many multinational and local companies on competition law matters. He further represented undertakings in annulment lawsuits and appeals pertaining to decisions of the Competition Board.
He also provides assistance and consultancy with regard to data protection law, US economic sanction regime and international anti-corruption and anti-bribery compliance programs.
Can Yıldız represented electricity distribution companies and incumbent supply companies in investigations launched by Energy Market Regulatory Authority. He has further provided consultancy to foreign investors with respect to renewable energy resources support mechanism and renewable energy resource areas in Turkey. He also represented companies in anti-dumping investigations.
He completed his law degree in Bilkent University.
Illustrative Recent Representations:
- Provided competition law consultancy on a regular basis to leading domestic and multinational firms operating in various industries such as automotive, airline transport, port services, logistics, financial services, online retail, FMCG, alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, fertilizers, chemicals, tourism, online accommodation services and paper packaging;
- Represented a major airline company in an investigation before the Competition Authority and coordinated the commitment procedure;
- Represented a major non-alcoholic beverages supplier in an investigation before the Competition Authority;
- Represented an automotive distributor in an investigation before the Competition Authority;
- Represented a major retail market chain in an investigation before the Competition Authority;
- Represented a significant manufacturer of fertilizers in an investigation regarding anti-competitive information exchange and concerted practice before the Competition Authority;
- Represented a hospital in an investigation before the Competition Authority;
- Represented a leading tourism firm and its many subsidiaries in the investigation regarding cartel and concerted practice allegations before the Competition Authority;
- Represented an online accommodation reservation platform and a multinational manufacturer of beauty, personal care and home care products in the investigations regarding allegations of vertical restraints before the Competition Authority;
- Represented the Turkish branch of a foreign investment bank and a multinational technology retailer in the investigations regarding cartel and concerted practice allegations before the Competition Authority;
- Represented an international technology firm in an investigation regarding licensing of standard essential patents before the Competition Authority;
- Represented an association of undertakings active in financial technologies sector regarding its individual exemption applications before the Turkish Competition Authority,
- Represented an international infrastructure-construction company regarding its acquisition of the shares of its partner in numerous joint ventures and prepared the merger filing that was made to the Turkish Competition Authority;
- Represented a leading manufacturer of aircraft components and motors regarding its acquisition of another large-scale undertaking operating in the same market and prepared the merger filing that was made to the Turkish Competition Authority (net value of the merger was over 30 billion USD);
- Represented a leading commodity trading company in its acquisition of the world’s largest coal mine complex and prepared the merger filing that was made to the Turkish Competition Authority;
- Represented foreign private equity firms in their numerous acquisitions in various industries;
- Advised a multinational company operating in the technology retail sector in regard to its potential acquisition of a company operating in the same sector in Turkey;
- Represented multinational and local undertakings in annulment lawsuits and appeals pertaining to decisions of the Competition Board;
- Prepared competition law compliance programs to companies active in various sectors such as energy, communication, FMCG and insurance;
- Prepared data protection law compliance programs to companies active in various sectors such as technology, construction and FMCG;
- Prepared US economic sanctions and international anti-bribery and anti-corruption compliance program to a major metallurgy company and its US subsidiary;
- Provided advice to a consortium between a foreign energy group and a local conglomerate with regard to renewable energy resources support mechanism and renewable energy resource areas in Turkey;
- Represented a Turkish manufacturer of metal rods in an anti-dumping investigation initiated by the Egyptian Authority.
Bilkent University, LLB
Languages: Turkish, English
- İstanbul Bar Association
- Coca Cola’s Commitments in the Recent Competition Investigation
- Recent Regulations Regarding Electricity Storage Activity
- Competition Board’s Guideline on the Examination of Digital Data during On-Site Inspections
- Addressing the Finalization of the Competition Board Decisions as Preliminary Issue in Compensation Lawsuits
- Final and Interim Decisions of the Turkish Competition Board
- United States Economic Sanctions Regime: Iran
- Restriction of Online Advertisement and Sales: European Commission’s Guess Decision
- Recent Developments in Abuse of Dominance Concerning Online Platforms
- Gönenç Gürkaynak, Can Yıldız & Sanem Kinalp, "The Relationship between Trade Policy and Competition Policy: The Interface between Predatory Pricing and Anti-Dumping Regulations”, The Academic Gift Book of ELIG, Attorneys-at-Law in Honor of the 20th Anniversary of Competition Law Practice in Turkey, Mart 2018,.
- Şahin Ardıyok & Can Yıldız, "Turkey Introduces Project-Based Government Incentives”, Mondaq, 29 Aralık 2016.
- Şahin Ardıyok, Tolga Turan & Can Yıldız, "The Long Expected Regulation On Renewable Energy Designated Areas In Turkey”, Mondaq, 1 Kasım 2016.
- Şahin Ardıyok & Can Yıldız, "New Wave Of Investment Incentives In Turkey”, Mondaq, 26 Eylül 2016.