Merve Bakırcı is an Associate in Corporate Affairs Department of Erdem & Erdem. Her practice especially focuses on competition law matters, joint ventures, preliminary investigations and investigations within the scope of competition law, M&A transactions, and general corporate matters. She has represented a wide range of leading national and international private corporations in preliminary investigations and investigations before the Turkish Competition Authority. She also has vast experience in assisting clients in Turkey, Europe and United States in relation to competition law aspects of mergers and acquisitions. She has also advised many multinational and local companies on competition and corporate law matters.
Ms. Bakırcı provides consultancy to the clients with respect to Turkish and European Community competition legislations and assists them to comply with competition law compliance programs. She further represents clients in all phases of the competition law investigations before the Competition Authority.
Ms. Bakırcı further provides counseling for local and multinational corporations in relation to daily corporate matters regarding all aspects of general corporate governance work including preparation of articles of association, general assembly resolutions, board of directors’ resolutions and capital increases and decreases.
She completed her LLB degree in University of Southampton and her Legal Practice Course (LPC) at the College of Law, London, UK.
Illustrative Recent Representations:
- Represented a company active in automotive industry in an investigation before the Turkish Competition Authority.
- Prepared competition law compliance programs to companies active in various sectors such as banking, automotive, insurance.
- Prepared regulatory and corporate sections of due diligence report in acquisition of majority shares in a company producing spare parts.
- Represented a company active in insurance industry in an investigation before the Turkish Competition Authority.
- Represented a company active in banking industry in an investigation before the Turkish Competition Authority.
- Provided legal consultancy to various companies in relation to their regular competition law matters in various sectors such as insurance, automotive, chemicals and FMCG.
- Represented a company active in meal card industry in an investigation before the Turkish Competition Authority.
- Represented a company active in online retail platform services in an investigation before the Turkish Competition Authority.
- Conducted internal reviews for companies active in various sectors such as banking, insurance, automotive, FMCG.
- Represented a search engine company in two investigations before the Turkish Competition Authority.
- Advised on the due diligence report and first draft SPA in contemplated acquisition of shares in a renewable energy company;
- Prepared legal memorandum on treasury receivables for a leading foreign bank.
- Provided legal consultancy to companies in relation to their regular regulatory and corporate matters in various sectors such as beverages, securities, banking.
- Advised many international companies including private equity funds in their merger control filings in several sectors.
LLB Accreditation, Dokuz Eylul University
The College of Law, Legal Practice Course (LPC)
University of Southampton, LLB
Languages: Turkish, English
- Istanbul Bar Association
- University of Southampton Alumni Community
- The College of Law Alumni Community
- Standard of Proof in Cartel Allegations in Light of Turkish Competition Board’s Egg Producers Decision
- Obtaining and Examining WhatsApp Correspondences as Evidence within the Scope of Competition Law
- Transfer of Employee Rights and Claims in Company Spin-offs
- Gönenç Gürkaynak, Ceren Özkanlı, Ceren Göktürk, Merve Bakırcı “Excessive Pricing: A Rare Concept In Competition Law”, Mondaq, October 2017.
- Gönenç Gürkaynak, Merve Bakırcı, Sevgi Mutafoğlu “Excessive Pricing Enforcement in Dynamic Sectors: Should You Stop Reading Now?” The Academic Gift Book of ELIG, Attorneys-at-Law in Honor of the 20th Anniversary of Competition Law Practice in Turkey, 143-75 (2018), May 2018.