Özgür Kocabaşoğlu is a Partner and the Head of Corporate of Erdem & Erdem. Mr. Kocabaşoğlu has nearly 20 years of experience in national and multijurisdictional complex merger and acquisitions, structuring, banking, capital markets transactions, corporate and project finance.
He has extensive experience of international transactions involving a number of overseas jurisdictions in a variety of business sectors including energy, mining, transportation, ports, airports, construction, finance, retail and real estate.
He focuses on privatizations and public private partnership models and complex cross border transactions involving commercial banks, corporate entities, public and private companies.
In recent years he leads merger and acquisitions in a wide geography including Europe, Latin America, Russia, CIS countries, Africa and Asia. Moreover he is regularly provides consultancy to multinational corporations on every aspects of commercial law, contract law, capital markets, privatizations and merger and acquisitions.
He is a member of Istanbul Bar Association and International Bar Association (IBA).
Illustrative Recent Representations
- Advising sponsors on the project financing worth of Euro 330 mio, including designing, construction and management (ancillary services) of Kayseri Integrated Health Campus Project, which is the first Public-Private Partnership (PPP) Project in Turkey’s health care industry.
- Advising a Turkish company for the tender of the concession and operating rights of a port in Ecuador USD 750 mio.
- Advising Group Company in the project financing of a mine in Kazakhstan by EBRD and Unicredit for USD 260 mio.
- Advising a port company in the acquisition of seven container port terminals in Portugal, two terminals in Spain and one in Peru, that the transaction is the largest investment made by a Turkish company in Portugal as well as one of the biggest port investments in Europe in 2015.
- Representing a Turkish port company in the loan agreement by Japan Bank for International Cooperation and other financial institutions in the extension of a facility of Yen 6 billion (approximately USD 36 mio).
- He played a key role in the sale and transfer of 15,446% shares of a company in glass industry to European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD)
- He was the project leader in the purchase and transfer of approximately 4% of shares of a Turkish company to International Finance Corporation (IFC).
- Advising a glass company in the acquisition of Fritz Holding and its group companies in Germany, in the acquisition of majority shares of a car glass factory in Romania as well on the joint venture with French glass company Saint Gobain in Egypt and Russia for float glass and auto glass production and sale.
- He represented local and foreign companies as a lead counsel in the tender for privatization of Derince Port, Iskenderun Port, Sea Buses (IDO) Operations, Fenerbahçe – Kalamış Yatch Port, İzmir Port in Turkey, Rainbow Ferry Lines in Republic of Ivory Coast and Oslo Port in Norway.
- He was the project leader in bond issuance of an international port company (USD 450 mio), a glass company (USD 500 mio) as well as a bank and a fleet company.
- He was a lead counsel in the acquisition of chrome mineral operator companies, a ferrochrome factory located in Russia and a mine in Kazakhstan.
- He was the project coordinator in the acquisition of 50% shares of Malta Freeport Ltd. from Malta Port for Euro 200 mio. He provided legal advice in drafting and negotiating the MoU, the share purchase agreement and other ancillary agreements.
- He played important role in the tender of privatization of a portfolio of more than 80 airports together including Goa, Amritsar, Jaipur, Ahmedabad, Channai, Koklata and Trivandrium Airports in India.
- He played a crucial role in a lot of cross-border tender processes for privatization projects such as International Airport (India-Mumbai (Bombay)), New Delhi Indira Gandhi Airport Cargo (India) and Queen Alia International Airport (Jordan).
- Gazi University External Trade Master Program
- Ankara University, Faculty of Law
- Galatasaray High School
Courses: Ankara Research Institute of Banking Law
Languages: Turkish, English, French
“Clients of Erdem & Erdem Law Office include industrial groups and international port management companies. Özgür Kocabaşoğlu has strength in international finance and securities, and Ercüment Erdem is experienced in cross-border matters and project finance.”
“Based on Mondaq users readership, Özgür Kocabaşoğlu is ranked as Very Popular in Turkey for the industry sectors listed as Securities & Investment”
- Istanbul Bar Association
- International Bar Association (IBA)
- Galatasaray High School Alumni Association
- Presentation of a Cheque and Force Majeure Pursuant to the Law No. 7226 on the Amendment to Certain Laws
- Wholesale of a Significant Amount of Company Asset
- Privilege to be represented on the Board of Directors
- Coexistence Agreements
- Mandatory Share Purchase Offer
- Regulatory Approaches to Crowdfunding in European Union
- Non-Competition Clauses for Employees: Limitation of Non-competition Clauses In Terms of Place, Time, Subject and Restriction Authority of the Judge
- IFLR M&A Report 2017 Turkey Chapter
- Property Certificates
- Healthcare PPP Projects: Funders’ Direct Agreements
- The Prohibition Against Financial Assistance under the New TCC
- Amendments On The Regulation For Implementation Of Foreign Direct Investment Law
- One Regulation Applicable To All Turkish Ports
- The Regulation Regarding Angel Investment Capital
- Representation in Joint Stock Companies
- Amendments To The Law On Public Private Partnership
- Payment And Security Settlement Systems
- New Regulation in Turkish Capital Markets: Real Estate Investment Funds
- New Instructions in Turkish Retail Business: Law On Regulation Of Retail Trade
- Communiqué On The Principles Regarding Security Investment Companies
- The Regulation On Principles And Procedures To Be Applied İn Factoring Operations
- Non-Compete Clauses in Share Transfer Agreements Review Of The Court Of Cassation’s Decision