Canan Doksat is a Tax Counsel of Erdem & Erdem. She provides advisory and litigation services for national and international companies in relation to tax and customs disputes.
The scope of the services that she provides includes the evaluation of the tax inspection procedure and the tax inspection report, application to the Report Evaluation Committee, management of the pre-assessment and post-assessment reconciliation procedures, initiation of the tax litigation process and the individual application procedure before the Constitutional Court.
Moreover she focuses on the reconciliation procedure against the customs duties and fines before the relevant customs authorities, preparation of the petitions of objection, pursuit of the objection procedure and management of the whole customs litigation process.
Canan Doksat provides legal advisory services in relation to company restructuring projects by considering the tax law aspects of the transactions such as merger, spin-off, company type amendment, capital in kind contribution, asset deal. The scope of the services includes the determination of the most efficient restructuring alternative and also the implementation stage of the relevant transaction.
She provides tax and legal advisory services regarding the analysis of the technical insolvency/bankruptcy situations and determination of legal alternatives for the elimination of the referred financial situations. Additionally, she provides legal and tax advisory services in relation to corporate law transactions such as general assembly meetings, capital increase and decrease.
Illustrative Recent Representations
- She provided legal advisory services for the Turkish affiliate of a global & leading paper and packaging company in relation to a full spin-off transaction conducted in line with tax and commercial legislation.
- She provided legal advisory services to a leading automotive company for the transfer of a service unit to a full liable company through partial spin-off transaction conducted in line with the provisions of tax and commercial legislation.
- She provided legal advisory services to a healthcare company, having its headquarter in USA, for the merger transaction conducted between its Turkish affiliates.
- She provided legal advisory service to a global leading food company in relation to the financing alternatives that may be used for the purchase of the shares of the target company by indicating tax and legal consequences of each alternative. Following the execution of the share purchase agreement, she provided legal advisory services in relation to the merger transaction occurred between the referred companies and conducted in line with commercial & tax legislation.
- She provided tax and legal advisory services to the Turkish affiliate of an Austria resident retail company for the liquidation process through the evaluation of the financial and legal situation of the company.
- Evaluation of the financial tables of a global healthcare company’s Turkish affiliates, having its headquarter in USA, in term of technical insolvency/bankruptcy and determination of the legal alternatives for the elimination of the insolvency/bankruptcy situation.
- Representation of a global and leading food company, having its headquarter in Netherlands, before the tax courts during the whole litigation process for their tax and customs disputes.
- Representation of a global and technology & service provider company, having its headquarter in Germany, before the tax courts during the whole litigation process for their tax and customs disputes.
- Representation of a global and leading pharmacy company before the tax courts during the whole litigation process including the reconciliation stage.
Bilgi University, Economy Law, LLM (pending)
Koç University, Law School, LLB
Saint-Joseph French High School
Languages: Turkish, English, French
- Istanbul Bar Association
- International Fiscal Association (IFA)
- Istanbul Bar Association – Administrative & Tax Law Commission
- Force Majeure in terms of Turkish Tax Legislation and Coronavirus Effect on Tax Practices
- The Right to a Fair Trial and the Notification of Tax Inspection Reports
- Recent Amendments in Relation to Tax Legislation
- Liability for Tax Debts of Limited Liability Companies
- VAT on Exchange Difference
- Taxation of Capital Decrease
- Transfer of Real Estate through Partial Spin-Off
- Is it possible to carve out business units through partial spin-off?, Vergide Gündem, May 2017.
- Effect of the referral to the assessment committee during the continuation of tax inspection on the period of limitation, Vergide Gündem, October 2014.
- Delay interest in the refund of the tax declared and paid with reservation to the taxpayer pursuant to court decision, Vergide Gündem, March 2014.