Piraye Erdem is the Founder and Managing Partner of Erdem & Erdem. She leads the Dispute Resolution Department. She has vast experience and a considerable reputation in both international and domestic arbitration and litigation. During her career of 30 years, she has represented a broad range of local and foreign clients in commercial and administrative litigation and in international arbitration proceedings. As an integral part of her practice, she has been engaged in the resolution of commercial disputes concerning M&A transactions, agency and distribution contracts, construction agreements, service, equipment, hardware and software sale, supply and installation agreements.
Ms. Erdem advises clients in matters involving international commercial contracts, arbitration proceedings, recognition and enforcement of arbitral awards and enforcement of foreign and local court judgments, law of obligations, labor law, foreign investments and M&A transactions in various industries.
As significant part of her involvement as Managing Partner, Ms. Erdem coordinates client relations and firm’s practice among the practice groups. She supervises the daily operations of administrative departments and chairs firm’s executive committees. Her position is instrumental in ensuring firm’s compliance with ethical and professional standards and oversees compliance with firm policies and procedures.
Illustrative Recent Representations
- Representation of the Respondent in an arbitration before the Swiss Chambers’ Arbitration Institution, in a dispute arising out of a share transfer agreement between two oil companies
- Representation of the Claimant in an International Chamber of Commerce (“ICC”) arbitration between the Colombian subsidiary of a Turkish company, and a Colombian company active in mining sector
- Representation of a Turkish Super League football club in an ICC arbitration in a dispute with its former sponsor from Dubai
- Representation of a Turkish Super League football club in a Court of Arbitration for Sport (“CAS”) arbitration in a dispute with its former head coach
- Representation of a Turkish glass manufacturer company in an ICC arbitration in a dispute with its former distributor from Germany
- Representation of a Turkish glass manufacturer company in an Istanbul Chamber of Commerce (ITOTAM) arbitration in a dispute with its client from Ukraine
- Representation of a group company and its subsidiaries active in the energy sector in various commercial and administrative litigation concerning environmental impact assessment reports, zoning plans and other administrative disputes for ports and expropriation proceedings
- Representation of a group company’s Luxembourg based subsidiary - in various commercial litigation proceedings concerning shareholding status and representation
- Representation of a global animal health company in several litigation cases regarding labor law and consulting on employment issues
- Representation of an Italian mining firm, which holds licenses in Turkey, in litigation matters regarding labor law and other commercial issues, consulting on mining license issues
- Representation of a German company in several cases based on labor law and commercial law, and also consultation on employment issues
- Representation of agroup and its subsidiaries, which are active in food sector and also producing olive oil, soap and etc. products, in several litigation matters arising from global commercial affairs, employment issues and several commercial relations
- Representation of a reputable food company as counsel for the defendant in litigation for trademark infringement and unfair competition claiming compensation for approximately TRL 250,000 (appr. EUR 125,000)
- Representation of Turkey’s leading aviation and ground handling services company as defense counsel in the lawsuits in connection with a shareholders dispute in a subsidiary with a claim of USD 26,000,000.
- Representation of a prominent Dubai based international real estate development and construction company in a series of lawsuits and execution proceedings with a claim of TRL 11,300,000 (appr. EUR 5,000,000)
- Representation of a leading Italian machinery company for the collection of claims of EUR 500,000.
- Representation of the clients of a leading British law firm as local counsel in series of litigation seeking compensation for personal injury and bodily injury and consumer related claims.
- Rendering legal advisory for a reputable Canadian coating company in litigation initiated by one of its Turkish customer for claims of USD 1,000,000.
- Representation of a Romanian construction company in litigation for the validity of bank guarantees with a claim of approximately EUR 2,700,000.
- Representation of Turkey’s leading paper manufacturing company in litigation as defense counsel with a claim of approximately EUR 1,000,000.
- Representation of a Swiss petrochemicals company in litigation for the enforcement of an award rendered by the American Arbitral Association (AAA) Commercial Arbitration Tribunal for the amount of approximately USD 1,500,000.
- Representation of a leading consumer products company in a litigation for the claims of good will compensation and loss of profit in the amount of USD 6,000,000 due to unjust termination of the distribution contract.
- Representation of an Australian equity investment and trade company in litigation for the recognition of arbitration award ruled by ICC Court of Arbitration for the amount of USD 800,000.
- Representation of a leading regional export association in the litigation for the annulment of administrative fines of approximately TRL 900,000 (appr. EUR 400,000.00) imposed by the Turkish Competition Authority.
- Representation of a U.S. association in the litigation for the return of the expropriated property with a value approximately TRL 20,000,000 (appr. EUR 10,000,000.00)
- Representation of a leading U.S. advanced micro control company in the litigation seeking for compensation for the loss and damages due to breach of contract with an amount of USD 12,500,000.
- Representation of a reputable Turkish packaging company in the litigation seeking compensation of the loss and damages for defective products for an amount of TRL 400,000 (appr. EUR 200,000)
- Representation of a leading Turkish construction company in the litigation for culpa in contrahendo liability with an amount of USD 8,000,000.
- Representation of a Turkish shareholder in the litigation for share transfer with a claim of TRL 11,000,000 (appr. EUR 5,000,000)
- Representation of an Italian agent in the litigation for payment of the commissions, loss of profits and goodwill indemnity due to unjust termination of the agency contract by the principal for a total claim amount of approximately EUR 450,000.
- Representation of a leading Turkish construction company in the litigation for the enforcement of the decision of Russian tribunals for an amount of TRL 1,250,000 (appr. EUR 600,000)
- Representation of a leading prominent Turkish port operator in the litigation for a claim of approximately EUR 1,500,000.
- Representation of a Turkish glass manufacturing company, which is also the world’s third largest manufacturer, in proceedings of maritime litigation, labor litigation and commercial arbitration before the ICC
- Representation of a German company as shareholder in some leading Turkish machinery companies in a series of litigation for the collection of debts amounting to EUR 14,000,000.
- Representation of a Hong Kong based logistics company in the litigation and execution of bankruptcy proceedings and collection of receivables amounting approximately EUR 4,000,000.
- Representation of a Russian construction company in a series of litigation and bankruptcy claims for project related undertakings
- Representation of a Russian bank in a series of litigation for commercial matters and bankruptcy claims
- Representation of a French company in a litigation for the enforcement of an ICC award
- Representation of the Turkish and Greek joint venture on several cases regarding construction issues
- Representation of a Swiss chemical producer company in commercial matters with a total claim of USD 4,000,000.
- Representation of a Swiss company in collection of receivables.
- Represented local and foreign companies as a counsel in the tender for privatization of Sea Buses Operations (IDO), Mersin Port, İzmir Port and Erdemir,
- Accomplishment of various mergers and acquisitions, build-operate transfer projects and project finance.
- Dokuz Eylul University, Faculty of Law
- Izmir American High School
Languages: Turkish, English, French
“Piraye Erdem handles commercial and administrative disputes and arbitration proceedings”
- Istanbul Bar Association
- International Bar Association
- Independent Member of the Board of Directors of Garanti Investment Trust Inc.
- Vice President of the Board of the Health and Education Foundation
- Board of Trustees Member of the Health and Education Foundation
- Izmir American Collegiate Institute Alumni
- The Review of the Decision of the Court of Cassation as a Result of the Appeal for the Sake of Law
- General Principles of Indemnity Claims for Personal Injury
- Decision of the General Assembly Regarding Arbitral Awards Subject to Action to Set Aside
- Decision of the Court of Cassation General Assembly on the Unification of Judgments holding that an Amendment cannot be filed after Reversal of the Verdict
- The Court of Cassation Decision of the Unification of Judgments holding that Receivables based on a Verdict may not be put into Enforcement Proceedings without a Verdict
- Operation of Economic Enterprises by Foundations