New Wealth Amnesty entered into force through the Promulgation of the Law No. 7417
Through the promulgation of the Law No. 7417 on the Amendment to the Civil Servants Law, Certain Laws and Decree No. 375 ("Law No. 7417") which is published in the Official Gazette dated 5th July 2022 and no. 31887, new Wealth Amnesty has been introduced.
Assets Within the Scope of the Wealth Amnesty
Assets to be brought into the country or to be registered within the scope of the Wealth Amnesty are as follows:
- Money, gold, foreign exchange, securities, and other capital market instruments held abroad, which belong to real or legal persons
- Money, gold, foreign exchange, securities, other capital market instruments, and immovables held in Turkey but not included in the business records.
Declaration, Notification Time, Bringing Assets to Turkey, and Payment of Tax
The following conditions must be met in order to benefit from the advantages of the Wealth Amnesty:
- Reporting the assets located abroad to the bank or intermediary institution in Turkey until the date of 31.03.2023.
- Bringing the assets located abroad have to be brought into Turkey within three months from the date of notification or must be transferred to an account opened in a bank or intermediary institution in Turkey.
- Declaration of the assets located in Turkey to tax offices until 31.03.2023.
- Payment in due time of the taxes levied on the assets within the scope of the Wealth Amnesty:
- For the assets covered which are located in Turkey, a tax rate of 3% is applied and paid until the end of the month following the month in which the assessment is made.
- Tax at the rates of (i) 1% for the notifications to be made until September 30, 2022, (ii) 2% for the notifications to be made between October 1 - December 31, 2022, and (iii) 3% for the notifications to be made until January 1 - March 31, 2023, shall be collected through banks and intermediary institutions and shall be declared and paid by them as tax responsible until the end of the 15th day of the month following the notification.
- However, if the abroad-located assets which are kept in an account of a bank or intermediary institution in Turkey for at least one year, the tax rate is applied as 0%. In this case, the tax collected during the notification is refunded upon the application of the notifier to the tax office.
Other Issues Regarding Wealth Amnesty
The advantages and other issues within the scope of the Wealth Amnesty are summarized as follows:
- No tax assessment or tax inspection will be conducted on the assets repatriated or registered through Wealth Amnesty.
- In case that the tax base difference determined in the tax examinations initiated for other reasons and the decisions of the valuation commission for other reasons are due to the assets reported or declared within the scope of the article, and the value of these assets is equal to or more than the tax base difference found, the tax assessment regarding the tax base difference will not be made. Despite the determination that the tax base difference is due to the reported or declared assets, tax assessment shall be made only on the difference amount, in the event that the tax base difference is greater than the value of the assets in question.
- In case a tax base difference is determined due to reasons other than the assets subject to notification or declaration through a tax inspection or assessment commission decisions, the amounts notified or declared within the scope of this article shall be assessed without setting off the tax base difference.
- Due to the notifications and declarations made within the scope of this article after the date of tax inspection or referral to the assessment commission, the provision of no inspection and no assessment is not applied for the assessments to be made as a result of the said inspection or appreciation commission decisions.
- Taxes paid within this scope cannot be written off as expenses and cannot be deducted from another tax.
- Taxpayers who keep books on the balance sheet basis shall open a special fund account in liabilities for the assets recorded in their legal books. This fund account cannot be withdrawn from the business until two years from the date of notification or declaration, cannot be used for any purpose other than an addition to the capital, and is not taxed in case of liquidation of the business. Assets may be withdrawn from the business after two years from the date of notification or declaration, without being considered in the determination of taxable income and distributable income for corporations.
- No fees will be charged for the transactions to be carried out at the land registry regarding the transfer of the immovables to be declared and included in the records of the business; the transfer of these immovables to the company is not considered disposal in the application of Article 80 bis of the Income Tax Law.
The Wealth Amnesty enters into force on the date of its publication in the Official Gazette (5th July 2022).
You may find the full Turkish text of Law No. 7417 here (Turkish).
All rights of this article are reserved. This article may not be used, reproduced, copied, published, distributed, or otherwise disseminated without quotation or Erdem & Erdem Law Firm's written consent. Any content created without citing the resource or Erdem & Erdem Law Firm’s written consent is regularly tracked, and legal action will be taken in case of violation.
Law No. 7456 on Additional Motor Vehicle Tax for Compensation of Economic Losses Caused by the Earthquake on 6/2/2023 and on Amendments to Certain Laws and Decree Law No. 375 (Law No. 7456) was published in the Official Gazette dated 15.07.2023 and No. 32249. The significant tax amendments included in the Law No. 7456 are...
The Presidential Decision dated 25.05.2023 and No. 7300 (Decision) has entered into force through publication in the Official Gazette dated 26.05.2023 and No. 32202. The Decision extended the deadlines for applications and first installment payments for debt restructuring, tax base increase and correction of...
Council of State Plenary Session of the Tax Law Chamber (Council of State TLC) decided that real estate taxpayers can file a lawsuit against the decisions of the appraisal commissions for the determination of minimum plot and land unit values until the last day of the year during which such decisions are taken...
The deadline for declaring the corporate tax return pertaining to FY 2022 is May 5, 2023. If there are any disputed taxes (e.g. additional -earthquake- tax) and a tax lawsuit is planned to be filed, we would like to remind that the tax return should be declared with a reservation...
Through the Law No. 7440 on Restructuring of Certain Receivables and Amending Certain Laws (Law No. 7440), published in the Official Gazette dated 12.03.2023 and No. 32130, procedures and principles regarding restructuring of the specified public receivables are regulated...
Through Law No. 7440 on Restructuring of Certain Receivables and Amendments to Certain Laws (Law No. 7440), published in the Official Gazette dated 12 March 2023 and No. 32130, amendments...
Through the Article 20 of Law No. 7440 on Restructuring of Some Receivables and Amending Some Laws (Law No. 7440), published in the Official Gazette dated 12 March 2023 and No. 32130, significant tax regulations regarding Debt Push-Down financing structure for merger transactions are introduced...
Through Article 10/27 of the Law No. 7440 on Restructuring of Certain Receivables and Amendments to Certain Laws (Law No. 7440) published in the Official Gazette dated 12 March 2023 and numbered 32130, an additional corporate (earthquake) tax at the rate of 10% is imposed against some corporate taxpayers...
Tax Procedure Law General Communiqué No. 546 (Communiqué) is published in the Official Gazette dated 18 January 2023 and No. 32077. Pursuant to the Communiqué, joint stock, limited liability company, unlimited liability company and limited partnership companies, cooperatives, Turkish branches of...
Through the promulgation of the Presidential Decision No. 6657 (Decision) on Resource Utilization Support Fund Deduction published in the Official Gazette dated January 10, 2023 and No. 32069, the Resource Utilization Support Fund rate for loans obtained by financial leasing companies from abroad is...
Through the promulgation of relevant general communiqués published in the Official Gazette dated 30 December 2022 and No. 32059 (2nd Repeated), certain tax limits to be applied during 2023 were determined. Accordingly, above-mentioned communiqués are...
The Presidential Decision numbered 6584 (Decision) on the entertainment tax rates regulated under Article 21 of the Law numbered 2464 on Municipal Revenues (Law) was published in the Official Gazette dated 21 December 2022 and numbered 32050...
Through the promulgation of the General Application Communiqué on Accommodation Tax (Communiqué), published in the Official Gazette dated 14 December 2022 and No. 32043, the procedures and principles for the implementation of the accommodation tax are regulated...
Through the administrative letter dated 30.11.2022 and No. E-85593407-156.06 published by the Customs General Directorate of the Trade Ministry regarding the import transactions in which an invoice is issued in foreign currency but the payment is made, the issues that cause hesitation in practice in terms of...
The Law on Amendments to the Tax Procedure Law and Certain Laws (Omnibus Law) entered into force through its publication in the Official Gazette dated 26.11.2022 and numbered 32025. The Omnibus Law amended the Law No. 4059 on Financial Stability and Certain Regulations (Financial Stability Law)...
Through the promulgation of President Decision No. 6417 (Decision) published in the Official Gazette dated November 24, 2022 and No. 32023, Special Consumption Tax (SCT) bases imposed on some private cars in the list (II) of the Special Consumption Tax Law No. 4760 have been changed...
Through the promulgation of Tax Procedural Code General Communiqué No.542 (Communiqué) published in the Official Gazette dated November 24, 2022 and No. 32023, the revaluation rate was determined as 122.93% for the year 2022...
Through the Expenditure Taxes General Communiqué Serial No. 92, ("Communiqué") published in the Official Gazette dated 11th October 2022 and no. 31980, banking and insurance transactions tax ("BITT") regulations are introduced regarding the taxation of the money received by insurance companies...
Through the promulgation of General Communiqué Serial No. 1 on Bringing Some Assets to the Economy (“Wealth Amnesty Communiqué”) which is published in the Official Gazette dated 9th August 2022 and no. 31918, the principles regarding the implementation of Wealth Amnesty which is...
Through Law No. 7417 on the Amendment to the Civil Servants Law, Certain Laws and Decree No. 375 ("Law No. 7417") published in the Official Gazette dated 5th July 2022 and No. 31887, a significant amendment is introduced for the application of interest rate deduction resulting from cash capital increase...
Through the Law No. 7417 on the Amendment to the Civil Servants Law, Certain Laws and Decree No. 375 ("Law No. 7417") which is published in the Official Gazette dated 5th July 2022 and No. 31887, significant amendments within Law No. 6183 on the Procedure for the Collection of Public Receivables...
Through the promulgation of the Regulation on Amendment to Regulation on the Procedures and Principles to be Applied in Tax Inspections published in the Official Gazette dated 28th June 2022 and no. 31880, significant amendments were made to the rules applied in tax inspections...
Through the promulgation of the President Decision No. 5752 published in the Official Gazette dated 28th June 2022 and no. 31880 (“Decision”), the period of the application of the low withholding rates on the interest obtained from Turkish Lira...
Through the promulgation of Law No. 7407 Amending the Banking Law, Some Laws and the Decree Law No. 655 (“Law No. 7407”), published in the Official Gazette dated 28th May 2022 and No. 31849, corporate tax exemption envisaged for incomes gained through currency protected TRY deposit accounts...
Through the promulgation of Law No. 7394 on the Amendments of Treasury-Owned Immovable Property Valuation and the Value Added Tax Law and on the Amendments of Certain Other Laws and Decrees (“Law No. 7394”), published in the Official Gazette...
Through the promulgation of Law No. 7352 Amending Tax Procedure Law and the Corporate Tax Law (“Law No. 7352”), published in the Official Gazette dated 29th January 2022...
Through the announcement of Circular No. VUK-138/2022-1 and dated 25 January 2022 (“Circular”) made by the Turkish Revenue Administration, it has been announced that the deadline for the submission of tax returns regarding...
Special Consumption Tax Rates and Base for Some Passenger Cars are Amended
VAT Rate Applicable to Education Services Provided in Private Schools and Universities is Reduced to 1%
Procedures and Principles Regarding the Tax Registration Cancellation of Taxpayers with High Risk to Forge Documents is Published
The New Wealth Amnesty entered into force through the Promulgation of the Law No. 7256
Provisions on Restructuring of Public Receivables of the Law No. 7256 entered into force
New Taxation Rules were introduced for Share Buybacks
Procedures and Principles regarding the Restructuring of Some Public Receivables were determined through the General Communiqué Serial No.1
Procedures and Principles regarding the Wealth Amnesty were determined
The Revaluation Rate was determined as 9,11 % for 2020
The Liability for Valuable House Tax will be effective as of 2021
Extension of the Period Designated for Submission of the First Country by Country Report
The Duration of VAT Rate Discounts on Certain Goods and Services is Extended
The Upper Limit of Stamp Tax to be Applied in 2021 was determined
Income Tax Tariffs Applicable on Remunerations and Income Other than Remunerations Acquired in 2021 were determined
The Communiqué on the Procedures and Principles Regarding Valuable House Tax was published
Special Communication Tax Rate was increased to 10%
VAT in Urban Transformation was reduced to 1%
SCT Rates on Electric Cars were increased
Tax Regulations Regarding Technopolis and R&D Centers
Withholding Rate of Long-term Construction and Repair Business was increased
Limitation on Financing Expense Deduction is Back
Special Communication Tax as Deductible Expense
Declaration of Wage Incomes for FY2020
Amendments to Regulation on the Conciliation Before Assessment
Corporate Tax Rate has been increased
The Period of VAT Reduction on Overnight Services in Accommodation Facilities Has Been Extended for 1 Month
SCT Amounts Imposed on Some Fuel Products Have Been Increased
The Corporate Tax General Communiqué No. 18 is Published
The Duration of VAT Rate Discounts on Certain Goods and Services is Extended Until July 31st
The Period of VAT Reduction on Accommodation Services has been re-extended
Time Extension for Wealth Amnesty
Obligation of Ultimate Beneficial Owner Declaration for Corporate Taxpayers and Certain Persons
The Duration of VAT Rate Discounts on Certain Goods and Services is Extended Until 30 September 2021
The Period of Withholding Rate Reductions on Real Estate Rentals is Extended to September 30th
The Rate Regarding the Working Time Spent Outside the Region and Centers by Personnel Working in Technology Development Zones and R&D or Design Centers Has Been Amended
The Law No. 7338 on the Amendment of Tax Procedural Law and Certain Other Laws Has Entered Into Force
Tax Amendments Introduced Through the Law No. 7341