Ecem Susoy Uygun is a Managing Associate in Competition & Compliance Department of Erdem & Erdem. Her practice especially focuses on M&A transactions, general corporate advice as well as competition and data protection law matters. She participated in several M&A transactions in a wide range of geography including Turkey, Europe and South America.
She advises domestic and international clients on cross-border transactions, antitrust and trade regulation matters in various industries. She assists clients with regard to merger control and exemption filings made before the Turkish Competition Authority and she further represents clients in all phases of the competition law investigations before the Competition Authority. Also, she helps companies to comply with data protection compliance programs.
She advises companies operating in the energy markets for their regulatory requirements, assists them in reviews of contracts and complying with competition law requirements. She is also listed as an arbitrator in the arbitrator list of Energy Disputes Arbitration Center.
She provides assistance on the daily corporate needs of companies including but not limited to holding general assemblies, preparation of board of directors’ resolutions, share transfers, re-structuring, and establishment of foundations. She further advises entrepreneurs and startup companies at every stage of their activities
Ecem completed her LL.M. degree in Freie Universitaet Berlin and received a law degree from Bilkent University. During her studies, she took legal courses at Cambridge University.
- Provided competition law consultancy on a regular basis to leading domestic and multinational firms operating in various industries such as automotive, glass, port services, logistics, financial services, online retail, FMCG, alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, fertilizers, chemicals, tourism and paper packaging.
- Represented Şişecam and Şişecam Çevre Sistemleri before the Competition Authority and coordinated the commitment procedure.
- Represented a major non-alcoholic beverages supplier in an investigation before the Competition Authority.
- Represented a significant manufacturer of fertilizers in an investigation regarding anti-competitive information exchange and concerted practice before the Competition Authority.
- Represented a hospital in an investigation before the Competition Authority.
- Provided consultancy to a leading Turkish bank in a pre-investigation conducted by the Competition Authority.
- Provided consultancy to a leading construction company in the preparation of the merger filing within the scope of the Taşucu Port tender.
- Provided legal assistance to a leading technology company before Turkish and Dutch courts in the lawsuits with compensation claims.
- Represented a leading tourism firm and its many subsidiaries in the investigation regarding cartel and concerted practice allegations before the Competition Authority.
- Represented one of the biggest retail market chain in an investigation conducted by the Competition Authority.
- Represented a client active in the financial and payment systems sector before the Competition Authority with regard to its various individual exemption, applications and providing daily competition law support.
- Provided counselling in representation of the majority lenders before the Competition Authority in restructuring of OTAS, the Turkish telecommunication company, in one of the largest project finance deals in Turkey.
- Assisted to the largest household glassware provider in Turkey with regard to designing a distribution system and preparing of the individual exemption filing that was made the Competition Authority.
- Provided counselling to biggest stationery manufacturer in Turkey with regard to designing a distribution system and preparing of the exemption filing that was made the Turkish Competition Authority.
- Assisted to the largest double-glazing provider in Turkey with regard to designing a franchise system and preparing of the exemption filing that was made the Turkish Competition Authority.
- Advised start-up companies operating in digital markets for preparation of general corporate documentation and reviews of contract.
- Advised one of the biggest electricity distribution and sales company in reviews of relevant contracts.
- Providing consultancy on energy efficiency and energy performance contract modeling to a leading Turkish company operating in the energy market.
- Provided legal support to leading domestic and foreign companies in their agency, distributorship and franchising contracts.
- Advised a client in establishment of a foundation in Turkey.
- Performed legal due diligence on behalf of domestic and international companies for the acquisition of the shares of the companies operating in cement, port, tourism and plastic pipe sector, ensured coordination with the foreign legal firms in the multijurisdictional transactions.
- Conducted legal due diligence on behalf of a Turkish group company, for the privatization of Derince port and Kalamis Marina.
- Assisted a Turkish group company in the acquisition of all shares of Socar Terminal and Petlim.
- Assisted a Russian company in the acquisition of 100% shares of a Turkish company that is engaged in the production of GRP pipe systems.
- Represented Paşabahçe in the acquisition of the assets (including machinery/land, factory, licenses etc) of the Pearl for Glass Manufacturing S.A.E. in Egypt.
- Represented Camiş Ambalaj in spin off and sale of its corrugated cardboard manufacturing business to Dunapack Packaging, a member of Austria-based Prinzhorn Group.
- Assisted a Turkish group company in the acquisition of all shares of Mota-Engil Logistica and Tertir Terminais de Portugal that amounts to 335 million.
- Assisted a Turkish group company in the acquisition of all shares of Senerji A.Ş. and Düzce Enerji A.Ş.
- Assisted a Turkish group company who is active in mining sector, in the acquisition of coal-mining assets in Colombia.
- Acted as the supporting personnel for the restructuring of the financing of hydroelectric power plants in Turkey owned by a Turkish company.
- Prepared data protection law compliance programs to companies operating in construction, banking, tobacco, glass, iron and steel industry and to non-governmental organisations.
- Assisted companies operating in energy, IT, automotive, white goods, glass, online retail, FMCG, alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, iron and steel industry to ensure compliance with competition compliance program.
- Advised international companies in trademark registration before the Turkish Patent Institute.
- Provided legal advice to an international company in objection against a trademark subject to the application before the Turkish Patent Institute.
Freie Universitaet Berlin, LL.M. MBL
Bilkent University, Law Faculty
TED Ankara College Foundation Private High School
- Turkey’s Energy Sector Legal Status Report 2020, Energy Law Research Institute, November 2021
- New Horizons in Competition Law; Federal German Cartel Office (Bundeskartellamt) Facebook Case (Mert Karamustafaoğlu, Ecem Süsoy Uygun), Istanbul Bilgi University Competition Law Seminars 2020, On İki Levha Yayıncılık, March 2021
- How Effective Are The Turnover-Based Thresholds Under the European Union Merger Regulation In the Merger Control Regime? Competition Journal, December 2018/70
- Confidentiality of Written Communications between Lawyer and Client In Accordance With Dow Decision, April 2016
- Selective Distribution System under Competition, December 2015
- Supervision of Concentrations in Competition Law, September 2015
- Liberalization Process in Electricity Market in Terms of Competition Law, April 2015
- Establishment of Foundations, March 2015
- Amendments to the Labor Law by Law No. 6552, September 2014
- Amendments to the Judicial System by Law No. 6545, July 2014
- Rights of Owners in Their Intellectual and Artistic Works, May 2014
- Amendments Introduced to the Law on Regulation of Internet Publications, March 2014
- Domination Agreements, January 2014
- General Communiqué on Electronic Books, December 2013
"All the work done by Ecem Süsoy Uygun is exceptional."
Legal 500 (Client feedback)