The Announcement Regarding Personal Data Processed to Send Verification Code via SMS During Store Shopping
The Personal Data Protection Authority has published a public announcement dated 13.11.2023 regarding the personal data processed in order to send a verification code via SMS to the data subjects during the transactions at the cash register following shopping. You may find a brief explanation of the outstanding evaluations below:
- In order to conduct layered clarification; the staff should inform the recipients about the purpose of the SMS sent during the transactions at the cash register and the consequences that may arise if the code provided via SMS is revealed, and the information channels should also be provided to the recipients via SMS.
- The obligation for clarification and obtaining explicit consent should be separated from each other.
- Explicit consent should be obtained separately for different activities that require explicit consent (i.e. approval of membership agreements, obtaining consent for personal data processing, obtaining consent for electronic commercial messages) during the transactions at the cash register.
- Personal data processing for the purpose of sending commercial electronic messages should not be presented as a condition for the completion of shopping. It is recommended that explicit consent to be obtained for this purpose is requested after the completion of shopping.
- In case explicit consent for sending commercial electronic messages is obtained via SMS verification code, the conditions stipulated by the Personal Data Protection Law must be met.
All rights of this article are reserved. This article may not be used, reproduced, copied, published, distributed, or otherwise disseminated without quotation or Erdem & Erdem Law Firm's written consent. Any content created without citing the resource or Erdem & Erdem Law Firm’s written consent is regularly tracked, and legal action will be taken in case of violation.
With the decision of the Personal Data Protection Board (Board) dated 06.07.2023 and numbered 2023/1154, the “annual financial balance sheet total” adopted by the Board as an exception criteria to the obligation to register to the Data Controllers’ Registry has been increased from 25 million Turkish Liras to...
The decision by the Irish Data Protection Authority (Authority) dated 12.05.2023 on Meta Platforms Ireland Limited (Meta Ireland) (Decision) has been announced on 22.05.2023. Pursuant to the Decision, an administrative fine of 1.200.000.000 Euros was imposed on Meta Ireland...
The Regulation on the Collection, Storage and Sharing of Insurance Data (Regulation) entered into force through publication in the Official Gazette dated 18.10.2022 and numbered 31987. Some of the important provisions introduced by the Regulation are summarized...
On 05.08.2022, the Personal Data Protection Authority (“Authority”), published Guideline on Banking Sector Good Practices Regarding the Personal Data Protection (“Guideline”). The purpose of the Guideline is guiding data controller banks regarding the personal data processing activities carried out...
On 14.07.2022, the European Parliament Research Service published a briefing (“Briefing”) for the impact assessment (“IA”) of the regulation of the European Parliament and the European Council on harmonised rules on fair access to and use of data (“Data Act”), submitted on 23.02.2022...
The Regulation on Processing of Land Registry and Cadastre Data and Transactions Held in Electronic Environment regulating the procedure and principles regarding the process of the data in the Central Database of the General Directorate of Land Registry and the transactions held in electronic...
The Regulation on Process and Protection of Personal Data by the Social Security Institution (“Regulation”) entered into force through its publication in the Official Gazette dated 19.02.2022 and numbered 31755.
Regulation on Processing of Personal Data and Protection of Confidentiality in the Electronic Communications Sector was Published
The Personal Data Protection Board Ex-Officio Initiated An Investigation against WhatsApp
The Personal Data Protection Authority’s New Resolution
The Board’s Decision Regarding Registration Obligation of Commercial Enterprises Affiliated to Associations, Foundations and Unions to the VERBIS has been Published
The Personal Data Protection Board Announced Its Decision Regarding the WhatsApp Investigation Initiated Ex-Officio