Özgür Kocabaşoğlu is a Partner and the Head of Corporate of Erdem & Erdem. Mr. Kocabaşoğlu has nearly 20 years of experience in national and multijurisdictional complex merger and acquisitions, structuring, banking, capital markets transactions, corporate and project finance.
He has extensive experience of international transactions involving a number of overseas jurisdictions in a variety of business sectors including energy, mining, transportation, ports, airports, construction, finance, retail and real estate.
He focuses on privatizations and public private partnership models and complex cross border transactions involving commercial banks, corporate entities, public and private companies.
In recent years he leads merger and acquisitions in a wide geography including Europe, Latin America, Russia, CIS countries, Africa and Asia. Moreover, he regularly provides consultancy to multinational corporations on every aspects of commercial law, contract law, capital markets, privatizations and merger and acquisitions.
He is a member of Istanbul Bar Association and International Bar Association (IBA).
- Advising a port company in the acquisition of seven container port terminals in Portugal, two terminals in Spain and one in Peru, that the transaction is the largest investment made by a Turkish company in Portugal as well as one of the biggest port investments in Europe in 2015.
- He played a key role in the sale and transfer of 15,446% shares of a company in glass industry to European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD)
- He was the project leader in the purchase and transfer of approximately 4% of shares of a Turkish company to International Finance Corporation (IFC).
- Advising a glass company in the acquisition of Fritz Holding and its group companies in Germany, in the acquisition of majority shares of a car glass factory in Romania as well on the joint venture with French glass company Saint Gobain in Egypt and Russia for float glass and auto glass production and sale.
- He was a lead counsel in the acquisition of chrome mineral operator companies, a ferrochrome factory located in Russia and a mine in Kazakhstan.
- He was the project coordinator in the acquisition of 50% shares of Malta Freeport Ltd. from Malta Port for Euro 200 mio. He provided legal advice in drafting and negotiating the MoU, the share purchase agreement and other ancillary agreements.
- Advising Group Company in the project financing of a mine in Kazakhstan by EBRD and Unicredit for USD 260 mio.
- Representing a Turkish port company in the loan agreement by Japan Bank for International Cooperation and other financial institutions in the extension of a facility of Yen 6 billion (approximately USD 36 mio).
- He was the project leader in bond issuance of an international port company (USD 450 mio), a glass company (USD 500 mio) as well as a bank and a fleet company.
- He represented local and foreign companies as a lead counsel in the tender for privatization of Derince Port, Iskenderun Port, Sea Buses (IDO) Operations, Fenerbahçe – Kalamış Yatch Port, İzmir Port in Turkey, Rainbow Ferry Lines in Republic of Ivory Coast and Oslo Port in Norway.
- He played important role in the tender of privatization of a portfolio of more than 80 airports together including Goa, Amritsar, Jaipur, Ahmedabad, Channai, Koklata and Trivandrium Airports in India.
- He played a crucial role in a lot of cross-border tender processes for privatization projects such as International Airport (India-Mumbai (Bombay)), New Delhi Indira Gandhi Airport Cargo (India) and Queen Alia International Airport (Jordan).
- Advising a Turkish company for the tender of the concession and operating rights of a port in Ecuador USD 750 mio
- Advising sponsors on the project financing worth of Euro 330 mio, including designing, construction and management (ancillary services) of Kayseri Integrated Health Campus Project, which is the first Public-Private Partnership (PPP) Project in Turkey’s health care industry.
Gazi University External Trade Master Program
Ankara University, Faculty of Law
Galatasaray High School Courses
“Clients of Erdem & Erdem Law Office include industrial groups and international port management companies. Özgür Kocabaşoğlu has strength in international finance and securities, and experienced in cross-border matters and project finance.” - Legal 500
A client says: “His response is quick and has a wide perspective about related issue. His communication skills are high.” – IFLR1000
A client says: "They are quickly and easily reachable and have an understanding of our needs. Besides that they answer our questions very clearly." – IFLR1000